family life

1 + 1 = 5, A Birth Story

So there we were, 2 days before EDD, an ordinary Thursday. I hadn’t planned anything for the boys, but with the haze, thought I might bring them to an indoor playground since that would require just supervision and less participation on my part.

And then I started to get that all familiar constant crampy feeling. You know, the one when you feel like you might have eaten something wrong the night before, but the cramps still linger on after you’ve been to the loo? Like a rainy day I was hoping it’d go away and come again another day, There were still things I wanted to do with the boys! Places to go! Cold drinks and desserts to be had! (Because during confinement these are frowned upon, right?)

But then it started to get more obvious that the time had come. I had already started the helper on lunch, so the boys ate while I gathered all our things together, messaged the hubby to let him know he’d need to get started on clearing his work, left some last minute instructions for my helper, and shortly after lunch I dropped the boys off at the ILs and drove myself to the hospital.

I’ll have to say that it is possible to drive yourself to the hospital, but probably do NOT try this with your first pregnancy, especially if you’re not sure how the labour will progress. This was my third time so I was pretty confident that I wouldn’t be delivering in the car, but wanted to get to the hospital ASAP anyway. And obviously I wasn’t really thinking straight, because I took maybe twice the time to get there than I should’ve!

Long story short (it was pretty uneventful anyway) – managed to valet the car quickly (Mt. Alvernia is quite a mess with their renovations going at the moment), hubby met me while I was trying to do admission paperwork, 5cm dilated when I finally got to the delivery suite, gynae came not too long after and broke the water bag, and we waited. Contractions were more intense but sometimes 10 minutes apart, I was quite grateful for the nitrous oxide, we waited for a while more. Then within 3 hours of arriving at the hospital, 30 mins of intense contractions and 3 pushes, we were looking at bundle of joy number 3.

At barely a day old, our first reaction was “What chubby cheeks!!” I guess that’s what happens when you have a 3.87kg newborn.

18 thoughts on “1 + 1 = 5, A Birth Story

  1. OMG, she’s adorable! Gasp you did it in such a short time, I’m holding my fingers crossed too that I can do a natural birth again and hope the labour won’t take toooooo long! =) Congrats Ed and say hi to your princess! Btw I’m not gg to drive myself to the hospital, haha, you are awesome to do that! =)


  2. Aiyo!!! Way too cute la! Super super chubby hamburger cheeks! I wanna bite!

    May I say it sounds like you had a great labour! 30 mins only! Super! Now can slip out the 4th! Rest well and see you sipping more cold drinks and conquering the world again soon!


  3. Congrats 🙂 Soooo adorable!! I know it’s no. 3 but I still think you’re really cool to drive yourself to the hospital. My mum delivered my sis (no. 3) in a wheelchair while being pushed to the delivery room. So I don’t think I’ll be taking any chances if I ever have the third one haha!


  4. Congrats! You’re really super- to have driven yourself there and delivering it with epi. Spoke like a seasoned mother of three! Love those chubby cheeks too!


  5. ADORABLE says it all about her!! 🙂 You are simply amazing to have driven yourself to the hospital and without epi somemore. Give me the 3rd, I believe I will still be begging for those. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s