As I mentioned in my previous post, the haze has made so many of us sit up and pay attention to environmental issues. So when I was asked if I was keen to review NooTrees products, and I was told that NooTrees products are sustainable and biodegradable bamboo-based wet-wipes and tissue paper products, I was in!
I have not noticed bamboo household paper products before, so I was pleasantly surprised to learn from NooTrees some things about bamboo as a sustainable alternative to paper made from trees:
- Bamboo is a grass not a hardwood
- It is one of the fastest growing plants in the world.
- Unlike trees, which can take up to 30 years to grow back and mature, bamboo will grow back as quickly as 3-4 months and can be re-harvested in 1-2 years without replanting.
- Using products made from bamboo will reduce over-logging and deforestation.
- The planting of mono tree forests, which will take 30 plus years to mature, and destroy the local biosphere
- 20% of all carbon emissions in the atmosphere come directly from this deforestation, this is more than all the cars of the world combined.
- Bamboo can grow in environments with depleted soil and little water and actually returns nutrients to the soil, which improves degraded areas. Trees require grade A arable land to grow
- Bamboo doesn’t require fertilisers, insecticides or pesticides to grow.
- Bamboo is more eco-friendly than recycled paper as it is virgin pulp, so no possibilities of BPA’s being present on top of all the above sustainability reasons why bamboo beats wood.
- It is believed that if bamboo were planted on a mass basis it could completely reverse the effects of global warming in just 6 years, while providing a renewable source of food, building material, and erosion prevention.
- Trees used for wood pulp take 30 to 50 years to generate to their full mass, whereas one bamboo plant can be harvested every 3 to 7 years and will produce 5 to 6 times the volume of raw material during the period of grow of a industry selected tree (Fir) per hectare.
Sounds good so far right? Find out more about bamboo on the NooTrees website.
So they might be environmentally-friendly, but are they any good? Well, let me tell you why my friend Xavvy-licious and I have been raving about them.
NooTrees® Facial Tissue, made from highly absorbent, 100% biodegradable, sustainable and BPA-free virgin bamboo pulp. To be frank, the tissue wouldn’t be my first choice if I had a sinus infection, which I actually did 2 weeks ago. But, it was the first time in my life I’d ever had a sinus infection, and although the tissues are only 2 ply, i actually don’t mind it because kids are so fond of using far too much tissue, for example if they need to blow their nose they sometimes take 2-3 pieces AT ONE GO for their tiny noses?! Or one piece to wipe up the tiniest thing?! So most of the time we will use 2 ply tissue at home anyway.
NooTrees® Toilet Tissue, similar to facial tissues, but made from higher quality BPA-free virgin bamboo Eco-Luxe pulp;
NooTrees® Bamboo Face and Hand Wet Wipes, comes in three sizes. the NooTrees wet wipes have a nice fragrance to it and are soft to the touch. I am not picky about the wet wipes that we use for our hands, but I do like ones that don’t have too many chemicals. These wet wipes are able to degrade in landfills at around 45 days! Compared to years for conventional wipes. So awesome right??
Bamboosa baby wipes, is a USA brand and are 100% bamboo.
NooTrees® Self-spa Treatment Wipes with Eco-Dot© Technology, a range of three textured wipes with special biodegradable exfoliating dots. The Dots are very cute leh! And the pastel colours are gorgeous! And the matte-lamination finishing of the packaging! Sorry, that last one was so not relevant, but I love that anyway!
o Aqua Skin© moisturising wipes with added hyaluronic acid, Vitamins A & E and Omega 3 & 6;
o Spa Skin© with added essential oils for relaxation;
o Age Impact© anti-ageing wipes with added Q10, peptides and antioxidants.
All of the wipes in this range can be used for makeup removal. I was quite skeptical about how different facial wipes could be, I mean wipes are wipes right? But WOW! The Wipes have special dots, and if you don’t like the feel of the dots, you can also use the other side of the wipe which has SUCH a luxury feel to it. And coupled with the luxurious fragrance of it, no wonder they call them spa wipes! It’s like a little slice (or sheet) of heaven. Seriously. I usually use an X brand of make up cleansing wipes, but I will probably never buy those again because the size of those wipes are tiny and not all that much cheaper than NooTrees! AND they biodegrade in 45 days? Win-win for all, right?
What I do like best is that the NooTrees products that are made of bamboo are far more environmentally-friendly than regular products, and if the prices are comparable to that of other traditional paper products, and you can decrease your carbon footprint, do some good, reduce deforestation, why not? Because God knows, with the weather changes that we’ve been able to see in our own lifetimes, with animal species dwindling, with the kind of haze we’ve been getting, our planet sure needs all the help she can get right now. And if it doesn’t start with you and me, then who does it start with?
Buy NooTrees product on their online store and at several leading supermarkets. NooTrees is offering a 20% discount for your purchases if you key in the promo code: MUMMYGREEN upon checking out. You will still be entitled for FREE SHIPPING if your total purchase exceeds SGD $50 after utilising the discount. The discount code will be valid for a month from the date of this posting.
Disclaimer: NooTrees sent me several products for review, but did in no way co-erce or pay me to write a review for them. Although they have offered me a rebate for anyone who uses my discount code, I think the only person making use of it would probably be myself 😀